Thursday, August 30, 2012

Review of Anna Dressed In Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake


Blurb:
Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead. 

So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father’s mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.

When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn’t expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he’s never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.

And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.




My review:  
5 of 5 stars false



Oooooookay, that was spooky to say the least. Never read a horror book before (hell, I don't even like watching horror movies) and I probably won't read something else of the same type, other than Girl Of Nightmares, the sequel to Anna Dressed In Blood because I just can't stay like this without knowing how it all comes to an end. But really, this book gave me nightmares I'm telling you and even with that I couldn't stop reading it. Yes, that's how good it is. I was sucked in since the very beginning. And then there's another thing that drew me in. It was the fact that the story was told from Cas's POV, a guy's POV. We're used to having girls POV. But I don't think I've ever read anything from a guy's POV before. And well that was new and cool and kind of refreshing. I was starting to think only us girls are the ones who get to be the legendary storytellers XD

This book had a truly intense storyline like anything I've ever watched or heard of. The plot was quite original and hooking, about a ghost-hunter boy who was never really part of the real world, always immersed in killing the undead and trying to prove himself worthy and capable of avenging his father, and then comes a powerful mass-murdering ghost girl with a dark twisted story behind it all and just a sad little innocent girl as a victim in it. Anna 's story truly moved me, and I couldn't believe how anyone could do what was done to her. And although I was kind of creeped out by how Cas (originally Theuseus Casio, well that's one hell of a name don't you think? XD) was absolutely sucked in the ghosts world and getting so close to Anna while still neglecting the real world and its occupants although he did start making some friends, which as quite an achievement for him, but in a way I understood the bond that he shared with Anna and how they could have grown to love each other.

Absolutely a must-read that will leave you breathless and aching for the next book, which I'm lucky I already have. Kendare Blake has such an exceptional writing style with a knack for truly awesome plots, and I'm so glad I got to read this book of hers. And I'll always be happy to pick on any of her other works.


No comments:

Post a Comment